February 16, 2024
Tucked away just off NC-54, Greenwood is a well-established Chapel Hill neighborhood dating back to the 1950s. This community of mostly single-family homes has plenty to offer families.
Location and History
Greenwood is conveniently located just minutes from downtown Chapel Hill and UNC. It is situated east of NC-54 and north of US-15/501.
The neighborhood began development in 1955 as part of the Baby Boom suburban expansion.
Many of the original ranch homes from the 50s and 60s remain today, giving Greenwood a quiet, traditional feel.
Notable Builders and Developers
Greenwood was built out over decades by various local and regional homebuilders including:
- Curtis Brooks - One of the early developers in Greenwood
- Holland Homes - Local custom home builder
- John R. McAdams Company - Prolific area developer behind later homes
Neighborhoods and Housing
Greenwood offers mostly single-family homes on wooded lots. Housing styles include:
- Original ranch homes from the 1950s-60s
- Larger two-story colonials from the 1970s-1990s
- Newer custom homes and remodels with upscale features
Home sizes range from 1,500 square feet for older homes up to over 5,000 square feet for new custom builds. Lots are around 0.5 acres on average.
Amenities and Attractions
While Greenwood lacks amenities within the neighborhood itself, residents enjoy proximity to:
- Eastgate Shopping Center - Nearby shopping plaza with grocery, retail, restaurants
- Meadowmont - Larger shopping/dining district just 2 miles away
- Chapel Hill Country Club - Public golf course open to non-members
- Umstead Park - Chapel Hill public park with trails and recreation
- Easy access to downtown Chapel Hill and UNC attractions
The location provides convenience to shopping, dining, and recreation.
Top Local Restaurants
Some favorite local dining options for Greenwood families include:
- Pepper's Pizza - Custom pizzas baked in wood-fired oven
- Mediterranean Deli - Quick and casual Mediterranean eats
- Al's Burger Shack - Juicy burgers and thick milkshakes
- Kitchen - Farm-to-table southern dishes and craft cocktails
- Four Corners Grill - Creative flatbreads and upscale pub fare
- La Residence - Cozy French bistro with patio dining
- Crook's Corner - Iconic southern food in historic farmhouse setting
- Elaine's on Franklin - Seasonal new American cuisine, farm fresh
- The Carolina Inn - Elegant southern-inspired fine dining
Chapel Hill offers family-friendly casual options along with upscale dining for parents' date nights.
Engaging with the Community
Here are some ways for Greenwood families to engage more locally:
- Join the Greenwood Neighborhood Association to connect with neighbors
- Attend concerts, theater, and other cultural events at UNC
- Volunteer through local schools, parks department, Habitat for Humanity
- Participate in town events like Festifall and community celebrations
- Explore nearby parks and greenways like Umstead Park
- Shop and dine locally to support Chapel Hill businesses
Getting involved fosters a sense of community and belonging.
Advice on Selling in Greenwood
For homeowners looking to sell in Greenwood, here are some tips:
- Accentuate classic neighborhood features like hardwood floors and fireplaces
- Make small updates to kitchens and bathrooms if needed
- Host open houses to showcase family-friendly floorplans
- Price competitively based on recent sales of comparable homes
- Time listings to target families shopping before the school year
- Partner with a local real estate agent who understands the Greenwood market
The Tim M. Clarke team has years of experience guiding Greenwood sellers through the home selling process. Their area knowledge is an asset.
Nearby Healthcare and Education
Greenwood provides easy access to top-rated healthcare and education options:
- UNC Medical Center - Nationally ranked hospital complex
- Duke Health - Top-notch care at Duke University Hospital in Durham
- Excellent Chapel Hill-Carrboro public schools
- Numerous private schools including Durham Academy
The location is ideal for families needing quality healthcare and schools.
A Local Realtor's Perspective on Greenwood
A Traditional Neighborhood Offering Chapel Hill Charm
As a long-time Chapel Hill Realtor, I've come to appreciate the quiet charm and family-friendly appeal of the Greenwood neighborhood.
Its wooded lots and traditional ranch homes offer a comfortable, small town feel just minutes from downtown.
Many young families are drawn to Greenwood's proximity to top-ranked schools, parks, and shopping.
The older homes feature hardwood floors, fireplaces, and classic charm.
Newer custom builds blend seamlessly with the traditional architecture. Greenwood offers a peaceful retreat from the bustle of Chapel Hill and UNC, but remains conveniently located.
Residents can enjoy the college town culture without being right in the thick of it. The neighborhood's mature trees and greenery enhance the area's natural beauty.
For families seeking a traditional neighborhood with Chapel Hill character, Greenwood always tops my list of recommendations.
I look forward to helping more buyers find their perfect home in this charming community.
North Carolina ALTA Settlement Statement Explained
Understand the North Carolina ALTA Settlement Statement with our helpful guide. Gain clarity on credits, debits, and costs involved in real estate.
Cracking the Raleigh-Durham Housing Market: Broken Rules of Supply and Demand
Expert insights on the puzzling Raleigh-Durham housing market. Low inventory yet slowing sales have broken the rules of supply and demand.
Festivals in Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina
Discover the best outdoor events in Raleigh-Durham and surrounding areas. From festivals to parades, experience the Triangle's vibrant culture. Join here!
Looking to build / buy / sell in the Triangle? Drop us a line.