February 16, 2024
Nestled just outside Raleigh in the heart of the Research Triangle Park area, Kitts Creek is a master-planned community comprised of 845 homes and townhomes.
This diverse neighborhood offers residents a beautiful clubhouse and fitness facility, swimming pool, tennis courts, dog park, open green spaces, and a community garden.
Just minutes away from Raleigh, Durham, Cary, and Chapel Hill, Kitts Creek provides easy access to major employers as well as shopping, dining, and entertainment options.
History and Development
Kitts Creek was developed in the early 2000s by Newland Communities on a sprawling 230 acres of land.
The community was designed to appeal to professionals working in the nearby Research Triangle Park area.
Home styles range from townhomes and villas to spacious single-family homes, attracting first-time buyers as well as growing families.
The community was named after Kit Creek which runs through a wooded area adjacent to the neighborhood.
This tranquil creek inspired the community's focus on nature and outdoor living.
The developers worked to preserve parts of the natural landscape, protecting stands of trees and integrating greenbelts and walking trails throughout the community.
Neighborhoods and Amenities
Kitts Creek contains several distinct neighborhoods, each with its architectural style. The Main Street neighborhood features traditionally styled homes on smaller lots.
The Springs neighborhood has Craftsman-style bungalows while The Overlook consists of villas and townhomes.
For recreation and fitness, residents can enjoy the clubhouse which contains a fitness center, indoor basketball court, and meeting rooms.
Outdoors, amenities include a Jr. Olympic-sized swimming pool, lighted tennis courts, children's playground, and an off-leash dog park.
Miles of walking trails wind through preserved green spaces and along Kit Creek.
Fitness and Recreation
- Gym and Fitness Areas: Includes multiple strength and cardio machines, free weights, and a yoga/dance studio.
- Tennis Courts: Available for reservation through ReserveMyCourt.com.
- Swimming Pool: A 25-yard, 8-lane swimming pool is available for residents.
- Community Garden: For residents to grow plants and enjoy gardening.
Social and Community Spaces
- Clubhouse: Includes a club room, conference room, and community library. The club room is available for rent by homeowners for parties and gatherings.
- Gazebo and Historic Pergola: These can be reserved for events or gatherings.
Outdoor and Leisure
- Dog Park: A designated area for residents to take their dogs for play and socialization.
- Open Areas: Spacious areas for various outdoor activities and leisure.
- 3-acre Public Square Complex: A large space contributing to the small-town ambiance of the community.
- 36' "Bandstand" Gazebo: Adds to the aesthetic and functional communal spaces within Kitts Creek.
Accessibility and Location
- Pedestrian-friendly Sidewalks: On both sides of the streets, facilitating walks and jogs within the community.
- Proximity to Major Employers: Near SAS Institute, Fidelity Investments, Credit Suisse, and Cisco Systems.
- Close to Shopping and Dining: Easy access to major shopping destinations such as Streets at Southpoint, North Hills, and Crabtree Valley Mall.
- Architectural Diversity: The community features 20 different styles of homes, each with unique historical architectural features.
- Community Events: Kitts Creek clubhouse hosts various neighborhood events like food truck gatherings, book clubs, and more.
Kitts Creek provides a range of amenities that cater to the fitness, social, and recreational needs of its residents, all within a beautifully designed community that emphasizes a small-town feel with the conveniences of modern living.
Top Restaurants and Dining
With its proximity to Raleigh and Durham, Kitts Creek residents can enjoy an array of dining options just minutes from home.
Here is a taste of some of the top-rated restaurants nearby:
Carmen's Cuban Cafe
This lively cafe serves authentic Cuban cuisine in a tropical-themed space. Signature dishes include ropa vieja (shredded beef), empanadas, and mojitos. "The food here is amazing! I've never had better Cuban food outside of Miami," says one diner.
This casual eatery offers Korean fusion fare, sushi rolls, bibimbap bowls, and specialty coffee drinks. "Delicious bibimbap and the best bubble tea in town," raves a customer. The covered patio provides outdoor seating.
This upscale gastropub dishes out creative takes on classic bar food like truffle fries, crab cakes, and gourmet burgers. The drink menu offers local craft beers and unique cocktails. "Great vibe and terrific food," says a recent visitor.
Located at the State Farmers Market, this cafe serves farm-to-table breakfast and lunch fare. "The eggs benedict with local ham and pesto hollandaise is to die for," says a regular. The market setting offers a unique dining experience.
For Mexican food and margaritas, Mi Cancun is a local favorite. Tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, and more are served in a lively cantina setting. "Hands-down the best Mexican food in the Triangle," raves a customer. A large patio provides al fresco dining.
Location and Accessibility
Centrally situated just off Highway 54, Kitts Creek offers easy access to RDU International Airport located just 12 miles away.
Kitts Creek is centrally situated just off Highway 54, offering easy access to major destinations:
- Distance: RDU International Airport is located approximately 12 miles from Kitts Creek
- Commute Time: The commute takes about 15-25 minutes
- Ideal Commute Route: Highway 54 to Aviation Parkway/I-40 is typically the fastest route
- Distance: Downtown Raleigh is around 25 miles from Kitts Creek
- Commute Time: The commute takes roughly 30-45 minutes depending on traffic
- Ideal Commute Route: Taking I-40 W and Wade Avenue helps bypass congestion
- Distance: Downtown Durham is approximately 22 miles from Kitts Creek
- Commute Time: The commute takes around 30-40 minutes depending on traffic
- Ideal Commute Route: NC-147 N to I-85 N is usually the preferred route
Research Triangle Park
- Distance: Most RTP locations are 5-15 miles from Kitts Creek
- Commute Time: The RTP commute takes 15-30 minutes depending on exact location
- Ideal Commute Route: NC-147 N, I-40 W, Davis Drive, Kit Creek Road
Other nearby destinations easily accessible from Kitts Creek include Jordan Lake (15 minutes west), Falls Lake (20 minutes north), Chapel Hill/Carrboro (30 minutes west), and major shopping centers like Streets at Southpoint, North Hills and Crabtree Valley Mall (20-30 minutes east/northeast).
The community is also conveniently located near major employers like SAS Institute, Fidelity Investments, Credit Suisse and Cisco Systems.
Real Estate Agent's Perspective
As a 17 year experienced real estate agent and 30 year Triangle resident, I highly recommend Kitts Creek as a wonderful community to call home in the Triangle area.
With its small-town charm yet modern conveniences and proximity to major employers and destinations, Kitts Creek offers the best of both worlds.
If you're considering buying in Kitts Creek, I advise taking the time to explore the neighborhood and experience community events to get a true feel for the lifestyle here.
Schedule showings for different times of day to observe lighting, noise levels, and parking.
Thoroughly review association fees and bylaws so there are no surprises.
As your agent, I can guide you through these details and more to ensure your offer is as informed and competitive as possible.
As a resident, take full advantage of the amenities and opportunities to connect with neighbors.
Attend clubhouse events, walk the community trails, or relax in the public square.
The more immersed you are in the neighborhood, the deeper your roots will grow.
Also utilize my up-to-date familiarity with recent sales to maximize value when it comes time to sell.
With decades of experience buying, selling, and living in the Triangle's best communities, I have the expertise to smooth the transition into Kitts Creek living.
My comprehensive knowledge paired with a network of lenders, inspectors, and other agents provides immense value as your agent.
I consider it my personal mission to ensure every client finds their perfect home.
Frequently Asked Questions about Kitts Creek
What amenities are available at Kitts Creek?
Kitts Creek offers a variety of amenities including a gym and fitness area with strength and cardio equipment, a community library, tennis courts, a gazebo, a historic pergola, a clubhouse, a community pool, a dog park, open areas, and a community garden.
How can I reserve the tennis courts or gazebo at Kitts Creek?
Reservations for the tennis courts, gazebo, and historic pergola can be made through ReserveMyCourt.com. It may take 3-5 business days for HOA verification before you can reserve.
What are the pool hours at Kitts Creek?
The community pool is open from May 20th to September 10th, with varying hours throughout the season. Early lap swim hours are from 6 AM to 9 AM daily. Please refer to the Kitts Creek website for specific hours as they change throughout the season.
Are there any rules for using the community pool?
Yes, there are pool rules designed for the safety and enjoyment of all residents. These include guidelines on guest numbers, which when exceeded is considered a "Pool Party." For swim lessons and other specific rules, please refer to the Pool Rules document on the Kitts Creek website.
How is the Kitts Creek HOA managed?
The HOA at Kitts Creek is managed by CAS, Inc, and there is an onsite property manager, Sheryl Bauer. The HOA board consists of 5 neighbors.
How can I get involved with the Kitts Creek community?
Kitts Creek has various committees that residents can join to become involved in the community. Information about these committees can be found on the Kitts Creek website.
What should I know about the covenants, bylaws, and architectural changes in Kitts Creek?
It's important to read and understand the governing documents of Kitts Creek to avoid surprises related to architectural changes or community guidelines. These documents can be found on the Kitts Creek website.
How can I stay updated with Kitts Creek events and news?
To stay informed about events and news, homeowners are encouraged to subscribe to the Kitts Creek email list. Updates from the HOA and Social Committee are also communicated through this channel.
What is the Historic Circle Green?
The Historic Circle Green is a communal space within Kitts Creek that adds to the neighborhood's historical ambiance and is used for various community activities.
Where can I find more information or ask questions about living in Kitts Creek?
For any additional questions, homeowners are encouraged to reach out to Carlie, the community contact, or check the FAQ section on the Kitts Creek website.
The website is the central place for finding relevant information and details about the community.
Listings in Kitts Creek
**NOTE: If you're not seeing any listings, then currently there are no available homes in this community.**
North Carolina ALTA Settlement Statement Explained
Understand the North Carolina ALTA Settlement Statement with our helpful guide. Gain clarity on credits, debits, and costs involved in real estate.
Cracking the Raleigh-Durham Housing Market: Broken Rules of Supply and Demand
Expert insights on the puzzling Raleigh-Durham housing market. Low inventory yet slowing sales have broken the rules of supply and demand.
Festivals in Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina
Discover the best outdoor events in Raleigh-Durham and surrounding areas. From festivals to parades, experience the Triangle's vibrant culture. Join here!
Looking to build / buy / sell in the Triangle? Drop us a line.