February 16, 2024
Nestled just 15 miles east of downtown Raleigh along US Highway 64, Wendell Falls is one of the premier master-planned communities in the Triangle area.
With its charming small-town ambiance, this neighborhood provides the ideal balance of a peaceful, family-friendly atmosphere and convenient access to the amenities of a large city.
Since welcoming its first residents in 2016, Wendell Falls has continued to expand, celebrating its harmonious blend of rural and urban living.
Throughout its development, Newland Communities, the developer behind Wendell Falls, has respected the area's historical significance by making efforts to preserve and honor its past so that new generations can appreciate this heritage.
Adhering to the principles of sustainable living, Wendell Falls exemplifies Newland Communities' dedication to eco-friendly practices through its commitment to high-standard green building norms, energy-efficient homes, and the preservation of natural spaces.
Rich in community amenities like parks, trails, and green spaces, Wendell Falls offers an active and healthy living lifestyle.
The Farmhouse, a communal gathering point, hosts several events for residents, offering spaces for fitness and relaxation, while the Grounds Café provides a social hub for residents to connect.
Beyond delivering residential opportunities, Newland Communities strategically facilitate economic and social growth in Wendell Falls, transforming it into a vibrant hub for work, education, and recreation through local businesses and organizations partnerships.
As Wendell Falls continues to evolve, Newland Communities persistently advance community development, introducing new neighborhoods, amenities, and attractions annually to accommodate the ever-changing needs of residents.
A Brief Overview of Wendell Falls
Wendell Falls is located on a site with deep roots in American history, initially serving as Camp Polk during the Civil War.
This Confederate training ground was a center of military activity, indicative of a tumultuous era in American history.
Following the Civil War, the Wendell family acquired the land, transforming it into a substantial tobacco farming operation that contributed to the local economy for over a century.
Entering the 21st century, the transition of this land from agriculture to a vibrant residential community marks a significant transformation. In 2014, Newland Communities, with its vast experience in creating master-planned communities, embarked on an ambitious project to convert the 970-acre property once used for tobacco farming into Wendell Falls—a signature development that harmonizes residential living with nature, history, and modern amenities.
Newland Communities, a national leader in mixed-use master-planned developments, has a long-standing reputation for creating communities that offer more than just homes.
They focus on crafting environments that foster connections, wellness, and sustainability. Their approach to Wendell Falls has been no exception.
The developer has meticulously planned the community to ensure it complements the rich historical backdrop while addressing the needs and aspirations of contemporary residents.
Newland Communities has transformed the historical land of Wendell Falls into a thriving modern community that respects its past while embracing the future.
This development not only offers a place to live but fosters a sense of belonging and community among its residents, enhancing the quality of life in eastern Wake County.
Builders in Wendell Falls
Wendell falls boasts collaborations with numerous renowned builders who bring their unique expertise and styles to the community. Here are a few notable ones:
Homes By Dickerson
- Homes By Dickerson brings the best of custom home building practices to Wendell Falls. Their commitment to quality and detail can be found in every architectural aspect. Their designs fit perfectly in this neighborhood known for its elevated aesthetic and commitment to sustainability.
- With Mattamy Homes, a commitment to understanding how families really live is at the heart of their design process. This ethos is clearly exhibited in their homes in Wendell Falls, with open-concept living spaces perfect for modern families.
David Weekley Homes
- David Weekley Homes, one of America's most recognized new home builders, brings stylish well-designed homes to Wendell Falls. Their versatile floor plans and timeless exteriors blend seamlessly with the community.
- Garman Homes builds with character and precision in mind. Each of their houses stands out with its personality and charm, making them an exciting addition to Wendell Falls' diverse architectural styles.
- M/I Homes is known for its high-quality, comfortable, and beautiful home designs. Their eco-friendly construction and open design philosophy coincide perfectly with Wendell Falls' community values.
- Brookfield Residential offers designs that reflect the way families live today. They're committed to providing homes of the highest standard, complimenting Wendell Falls' vision of quality living.
- Ashton Woods designs homes to reflect the unique people who live in them. Their approach allows for personalized, architecturally rich homes that match Wendell Falls' vibrant community.
- Dan Ryan has been crafting quality homes since 1990. Their commitment to customer satisfaction and unique design, makes them a perfect match for Wendell Falls' diverse residential offerings.
- McNeill Burbank crafts top-tier homes with timeless design and high-quality construction. Their dedication to excellence provides Wendell Falls residents with an upscale living experience.
Capitol City Homes
- Last but not least, Capitol City Homes is a local builder known for their customer service and high-quality homes. Their commitment to excellence and attention to detail is evident in their Wendell Falls offerings, making them a valued part of this thriving community.
Location and Accessibility
Wendell Falls is a charming community nestled on the eastern side of Wake County.
Much of this idyllic enclave lies within the town limits of Wendell, allowing residents to enjoy a peaceful, suburban lifestyle while remaining well-connected to the vibrant pulse of nearby cities.
Situated just 3 miles from downtown Wendell, 4 miles from Knightdale, and a mere 15 miles east of downtown Raleigh, Wendell Falls truly boasts a prime location.
Major highways like I-87 and I-40 are easily accessible from the community, facilitating swift and convenient commutes. A quick drive can take you to a variety of key destinations.
It's approximately 20 minutes to the bustling downtown Raleigh, 35 minutes to the busy terminals of Raleigh-Durham International Airport, and a 40-minute drive brings you to the heart of Research Triangle Park.
Here's a bit more detail on the commute times and ideal routes to these locations from Wendell Falls:
Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU)
- Commute Time: Likely ranges from 35 to 40 minutes, depending on traffic.
- Ideal Route: The most direct route typically involves taking US-64 W and then I-540 W directly to RDU.
- Commute Time: Typically under 10 minutes, given the close proximity.
- Ideal Route: Local streets within Wendell are best, with specific routes depending on exact addresses.
- Commute Time: Travel times can range but expect anything from an hour to over during peak times.
- Ideal Route: Generally involves taking US-64 W, connecting to I-540 W, and then exiting onto I-40 W towards Durham.
- Ideal Commute Time: A quick 20-minute commute away from Wendell Falls, depending on traffic.
- Route: A common route would be via US-64 W, which leads directly into Raleigh from Wendell.
RTP (Research Triangle Park)
- Commute Time: Ranges between 40 minutes to 1 hour, depending on specific locations within RTP and traffic conditions.
- Ideal Route: A standard route from Wendell Falls would involve taking US-64 W to I-540 W and then following directions towards the desired destination within RTP.
As always, for real-time traffic updates and most precise navigation, turn to GPS or map applications like Google Maps, Waze, or MapQuest, especially during peak commute hours.
Enjoy the journey as much as the destination, from your home in Wendell Falls.
The community is divided into distinct villages, each with its own swimming pool, playground, and green space. Some of the key neighborhoods include The Overlook, The Heights, The Preserve, Saddlebrook, and Vintage Point.
Homebuyers can choose from a variety of floor plans and architectural styles.
Schools and Education
Wendell Falls resides within the Wake County Public School System, one of the top-ranked districts in North Carolina.
Students living in Wendell Falls are zoned to attend some of the area's highest performing schools like Wendell Elementary, Wendell Middle, and East Wake High School.
Wendell Falls Elementary School opened right in the heart of the community in 2020 to accommodate the growing population.
For families looking for private education, schools like Raleigh Christian Academy and Franklin Academy in Raleigh are a short 15-20 minute drive away and come highly recommended by residents.
Parks and Recreation
One of the standout features of Wendell Falls is the abundance of recreational amenities available right within the community.
The centerpiece is the sprawling 60-acre community park, featuring a resort-style pool, splash pad, fitness center, tennis courts, soccer fields, and walking trails.
Smaller pocket parks interspersed throughout the neighborhoods provide easy access to playgrounds, dog parks, and picnic areas.
The tree-lined walking trails connect the entire community and include access to the scenic Buffalo Creek Greenway.
For golfers, Wendell Falls Country Club opened in 2021, featuring an 18-hole course that residents rave about.
The Farmhouse is the central hub and heart of the Wendell Falls community. This historic farmhouse was preserved and repurposed into an event space, restaurant, coffee shop, and information center.
The Farmhouse Café serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner made from locally-sourced seasonal ingredients.
Residents can also enjoy amenities like the resort-style saltwater pool, splash pad, fitness center, walking trails, tennis courts, and kids playground all located within the community.
The Farmhouse hosts events like outdoor yoga, live music, and community gatherings on the Festival Lawn and in the Tobacco Barn.
With its charming historic farmhouse and abundance of on-site amenities, Wendell Falls has everything residents need for daily living and entertainment.
Dining, Shopping, and Entertainment
Wendell Falls offers plenty of dining, shopping, and entertainment options without having to leave the community.
The newly opened Treelight Square is the neighborhood's downtown hub, home to restaurants like Farmhouse Cafe and Don Beto's Tacos and Tequila.
Other favorites like Boulevard Pizza, Carter's Baking Co, and Chocolates by Whitney in downtown Wendell come highly recommended by locals.
For everyday necessities, the Wendell Falls Village Center has essential shops and services like Food Lion, CVS Pharmacy, and First Horizon Bank.
Major shopping destinations like Triangle Town Center and Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh are just a 15-20 minute drive away.
Why Locals Love Wendell Falls
Wendell Falls attracts everyone from young professionals to growing families looking for new construction homes near Raleigh.
Residents enjoy the small-town charm of Wendell paired with convenient access to big-city amenities in the Triangle.
The abundance of parks and greenways make it easy to get outdoors, while the resort-style pool and clubhouse provide a private oasis.
With new homes consistently coming onto the market, Wendell Falls provides the perfect opportunity to join this blossoming community.
Homebuyers can choose from a variety of floor plans and architectural styles from the area's top builders.
Conclusion and Recommendations
For homebuyers seeking a master-planned community near Raleigh, Wendell Falls checks off all the boxes.
The neighborhoods offer brand-new homes with access to exemplary schools, recreational amenities, shopping, and dining.
The location provides a quiet small-town feel while still allowing easy access to major employment centers in the Triangle.
Based on the area's high-performing schools, extensive parks and recreation, and expanding amenities, Wendell Falls is highly recommended for families looking to put down roots.
The consistent home value appreciation also makes it a smart investment for any homebuyer.
To learn more and find available homes, visit the Wendell Falls website or schedule a tour of the model homes. Locals suggest joining community events and activities to get the full Wendell Falls experience.
Frequently Asked Questions about Wendell Falls
What is the time frame for building a house in Wendell Falls?
It takes approximately six to eight months to build a house in Wendell Falls. However, more custom homes may require a longer period.
What are the HOA fees and what do they cover?
The homeowners association fees are as follows:
- $100/month for single families
- $180/month for townhomes
- $300/month for Encore, the 55+ community.
These fees cover amenities such as the saltwater pool, gym access, common area maintenance, and other community features.
Can I become a member of the pool if I am not a resident?
No, the pool is for residents of Wendell Falls only.
Are there any restrictions on making changes or additions to the exterior of my home?
Yes, any changes or additions, including fences and landscaping, need to go through a design review process which typically takes about 30 days for approval.
How many homes will there be when Wendell Falls is complete?
Upon completion, Wendell Falls will have approximately 3,500 – 4,000 homes.
What amenities does Wendell Falls offer?
The community has a variety of amenities including over 10 miles of trails, multiple parks, playgrounds, a zero-entry saltwater pool, a fitness center, Farmhouse Café, Treelight Square, and more.
What is the proximity of Wendell Falls to Raleigh and other important locations?
- 14 miles (approximately 15 minutes) from downtown Raleigh
- 17 miles (around 18 minutes) from N.C. State
- 28 miles (about 28 minutes) from RDU Airport.
What types of homes are available in Wendell Falls?
Wendell Falls offers a variety of homes from builders like Homes By Dickerson, Garman Homes, McNeill Burbank, David Weekley Homes, among others. Options range from townhomes to custom, tech, and green homes.
What is coming to Treelight Square?
Treelight Square will include a range of dining and retail options, such as Don Beto’s Tacos and Tequila, Falls Local, Bojangles, Starbucks, etc., along with conveniences such as AFC Urgent Care, Cardinal Charter Academy Middle School, and others.
What kind of community events are held in Wendell Falls?
The community hosts events such as Farmhouse Jams, movie nights, wine tasting, live music at the cafe, and other social gatherings which reinforce the community bonds.
Listings in Wendell Falls
**NOTE: If you're not seeing any listings, then currently there are no available homes in this community.**
North Carolina ALTA Settlement Statement Explained
Understand the North Carolina ALTA Settlement Statement with our helpful guide. Gain clarity on credits, debits, and costs involved in real estate.
Cracking the Raleigh-Durham Housing Market: Broken Rules of Supply and Demand
Expert insights on the puzzling Raleigh-Durham housing market. Low inventory yet slowing sales have broken the rules of supply and demand.
Festivals in Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina
Discover the best outdoor events in Raleigh-Durham and surrounding areas. From festivals to parades, experience the Triangle's vibrant culture. Join here!
Looking to build / buy / sell in the Triangle? Drop us a line.